Thursday, July 07, 2011

Day 6: Buck

Date: July 6
Film: Buck [usa, 2011]
Where: Tulsa/Circle Cinema
Who with: Sarah J. 
Ratings: Joshua ****1/2; SJ *****!

After some technical difficulties with the projector, the documentary about renowned horse-trainer Buck Brannaman began and to put it simply--this is a contender for favorite doc of the year for me. I love watching horses, although they kind of terrify me after some bad experiences on them as a kid, and this film is nothing but horse scenes and talk as "Buck" dispels his philosophy on training. It's much different than the traditional style where the horse gets "broken." His technique is more gentle and the horses seem to respond tremendously to that sort of mutual respect between rider and horse. Beautiful western locations for most of the film too--think Montana, Wyoming, you know, the wonderful western states that I really love. What makes "Buck" an even more fascinating and remarkable character is the troubled life he lived while growing up. Near the end of Buck there is one of the more suspenseful showdowns between "Buck" and a truly wild colt that was as tense as any scene you'll see in a fictional thriller. Check out the trailer below if you don't know about Buck. Highly, highly recommended.

7 comments:

hidden staircase said...

yay...so glad you and SJ liked it! can't wait to see it...

Joshua Blevins Peck said...

I am as close to saying you'd 100% love this one as I can get! SJ's favorite film of the year I think. I loved it too.

Cinarobette said...

Wow, wow, wow. Amazing movie. Home run.

Eva said...

I'll have to check that one out - Wyoming is my state, my home in the US, place I lived first and longest. Once I watched a documentary - actually about a jail that uses horse therapy for its inmates - and I missed the beginning and didn't know where it was set - but I saw those skies, and I said those are Wyoming skies, and turned out later I was correct.

Joshua Blevins Peck said...

I've driven through Wyoming at least six or so times and always say it's one of my favorite states. Not populated, rolling hills, trains next to the highways and yes, terrific skies! Montana always gets propped up as the prettier of the two states, but I prefer Wyoming myself.

Eva said...

Just saw that that new Errol Morris documentary Tabloid (Miss Wyoming!) is playing now - sounds interesting.

Joshua Blevins Peck said...

I saw that trailer recently and it does look good. Comes to Circle in a few weeks I believe. Never heard of the story, so I bet Morris will put it through his usual style blender for something unique.