Saturday, July 02, 2011

Day 1: Aryan Brotherhood

Date: July 1
Film: Aryan Brotherhood [usa, 2007]
Where: Tulsa/at home/streamer
Who with: alone
Rating: *** stars [out of five]

My 31 movies in 31 days odyssey begins with a documentary on the brutal prison-based gang Aryan Brotherhood [sometimes referred to as "AB" or "The Brand"]. I like a good prison documentary or film, so this was a pretty interesting, albeit a bit sensationalist, look at the gang's criminal rise to power and penchant for violence. Evidently, according to this documentary, the AB excel in contract killings and any other bit of crime that requires extreme viciousness. Lots of prison fighting, shanking and yard action to keep the pace brisk. A few former members [pictured] talk about the life inside the AB and I'm guessing they have to live fairly paranoid lives while serving out their life sentences in whatever prison they are in.

Stay tuned, I will try to post my mini-review of every film I see in the month of July, so posts are going to be daily for the rest of the month. Check back often!

No comments: