Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 10: Horrible Bosses

Date: July 10
Film: Horrible Bosses [usa, 2011]
Where: Tulsa/in multiplex
Who with: Sarah J.
Rating: Joshua ***; SJ ***1/2
Dirty-mouthed Jennifer Aniston: ****

We were thinking of seeing the documentary on Vidal Sassoon, but I realized I was a bit too doc-heavy for July [I've seen five of them already this month and we're only ten days in]. So, we saw Horrible Bosses instead. It's the latest R-rated comedy to hit theatres and it goes for its rating with foul-mouthed gusto. I'd rather see something that is funny, but seem to only get watered down PG-13 or the nasty R. As long as I laugh, doesn't really matter to me what the rating is.

Horrible Bosses is partially a success as it tells the story of three guys who work for three people who are making their work lives hell. They decide to kill them to be rid of their 9-5 nightmares, but trouble ensues, obviously. The bosses are played by Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Aniston and Colin Farrell [the latter playing against type, one a foul-mouthed sexual predator and the other an overweight guy with an nasty combover] and they are part funny, part cringe-worthy and part just too over-the-top to maintain for the entire duration of the film. Horrible Bosses has a funny premise that kind of stalls out by the end and I noticed in the credits that one of the writers was John Francis Daley [Sam from one of my all-time favorites Freaks and Geeks, still a lazy script though]. Jason Bateman is at the top of his game though and I loved getting to see him drop all kinds of curse words with his impeccable timing and deadpan ways.

5 comments:

Rumblefish said...

I really liked this movie. I laughed the whole way through and I really loved Farrell. I only wish there had been more of his disgusting combover.

Joshua Blevins Peck said...

His combover was quite nasty!

Cinerobotina said...

Jason Bateman is king of the deadpan! I have no idea how he does it-- amazing. I would have to do a million takes before I could actually get through it w/o laughing. Has he ever divulged his secret for not cracking up in interviews?

Joshua Blevins Peck said...

He is really great at the deadpan dialogue or the double take. I'm quite fond of someone who can really nail a double take.

hidden staircase said...

i am tempted to see this just for bateman. supposedly he is the king of the audition as well. yeah...his timing is amazing. so talented...and hey! i hear they are finally to do an AD movie?!