Sunday, March 01, 2009

February movies

Since I didn't see many films in February, here's a brief opinion of all the ones I did see.

American Teen---2008---usa *** Glossy doc set in Indiana high school that attempts to be a real life Breakfast Club. Kind of artificial feeling. If I was in high school--I'd have the biggest crush for the artsy girl Hannah.

I've Loved You So Long---2008---france **** Very somber and serious French film that is blessed with a knockout performance by Kristin Scott Thomas. A bit slow at start but that's a strength as the story unfolds.

My Brother Is An Only Child---2007---italy ***1/2 This was good but not as good as the director's previous film The Best of Youth. Similar themes--family life and politics and how the two subjects affect one another in Italian culture.

Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist---2008---usa **1/2 I wanted to like this teen directed romantic comedy but it just didn't do it for me. I actually feel kind of sorry for teenagers now with the dreck that is about their lives (except for Juno, now that was good).

Slumdog Millianaire---2008---england **** I rewatched this with Scott since he hadn't seen it.

Gran Torino---2008---usa **** Another rewatch with Scott; I actually liked it better the second time--long review of this coming soon.

Pink Panther 2---2009---usa *1/2 I didn't pay for this so don't accuse me of giving my $$$ to remakes! This is absolute garbage though. Just terrible. The 1/2 star is for Emily Mortimer, one of my favorites. I hope she got something nice with the money.

Dirty Harry---1971---usa *****! Watched this again for first time in 20+ years--viva Blu-Ray! It's Clint with a sneer and a .357. Loved seeing the gritty, San Francisco setting, all neon lights and strip joints.

The Garden---2008---usa ***1/2 Heartbreaking doc about a group of Mexican-American farmers who have taken over a 14 acre green space after the L.A. riots. They've created this magical area of plants, trees and vegetation. Until the city wants to take it from them.

2 comments:

Guy Gadbois said...

Let me look into my crystal ball & predict your Gran Torino review will have a rant about the prevalence of being "pc" in current society.

Joshua Blevins Peck said...

Guy--Wrong! There's no mention of that whatsoever. I might take the time to go after Michael Bay again though, ha.