My friend David works for the Tulsa City Library and from time to time is involved in hiring for the media center. He creates a quiz to test knowledge in a variety of cultural areas to separate the applicants from one another. This 24 question quiz is the latest hand out he delivered for a recent job opening. I wish I would have interviews for employment that included questions about Kubrick or Kurosawa! For the record, I scored a 22 out of 24. I'm still kicking myself for not thinking out question #9! Inexcusable error from me!
Take the quiz, be honest, don't go on the internets and e-mail me your answers (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I'll post your results in the comments box. Do it.
1. The 1925 film Battleship Potemkin was directed by A) Andrei Tarkovsky B) Sergei Eisenstein C) Warner Herzog
2. Clark Gable’s co-star in It Happened One Night was A) Claudette Colbert B) Rita Hayworth C) Vivien Leigh
3. Who won an Academy Award last year for her performance in the movie The Queen?
4. The 1915 film Birth of A Nation was directed by A) Orson Welles B) George Cukor C) D.W. Griffith
5. Katherine Hepburn’s co-star in the 1957 movie Desk Set was A) Cary Grant B) Spencer Tracy C) Burt Lancaster
6. Which film’s plot revolved around a bank robbery? A) The Deer Hunter B) Dog Day Afternoon C) 12 Monkeys
7. Give me the first name of one of the characters played by Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis, or Cynthia Nixon in Sex and the City: The Movie.
8. Which of these documentaries was NOT directed by Errol Morris? A) The Thin Blue Line B) The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara C) No End in Sight
9. Who was the lead actor in A Place in the Sun? A) William Holden B) Montgomery Clift C) Robert Mitchum
10. The Martin Scorsese film Shine a Light is a documentary about what rock band? A) The Rolling Stones B) The Who C) Led Zeppelin
11. Who won a Best Actor Academy Award for his portrayal of Truman Capote in the movie Capote?
12. What movie does this line come from: “Get busy living, or get busy dying”?
13. Who played Salieri in the 1984 film Amadeus? A) Ben Kingsley B) F. Murray Abraham C) Jeremy Irons
14. Name two films directed by Stanley Kubrick.
15. Which of these films is considered to be part of the French New Wave? A) The 400 Blows B) 8 1/2 C) 2046
16. The 1973 film The Exorcist was directed by A) William Friedkin B) John Carpenter C) Brian DePalma
17. Which of these films was NOT directed by Akira Kurosawa? A) Seven Samurai B) Ran C) A Story of Floating Weeds
18. With what country is the term “anime” most closely associated?
19. Which of the following colors is one of the colors in Kryzsztof Kieslowski’s Three Colors trilogy? A) pink B) green C) blue
20. From what movie does this line come: “We’ll always have Paris.”
21. Which film was NOT directed by Steven Spielberg? A) Poltergeist B) Empire of the Sun C) Duel
22. What 1957 Ingmar Bergman film starred Max von Sydow as a knight who plays chess with Death? A) Through a Glass Darkly B) The Seventh Seal C) Winter Light
23. Which actress was in all of the following films: Children of Men, Far from Heaven, and the Shipping News? A) Jodie Foster B) Catherine Zeta-Jones C) Julianne Moore
24. Which of these documentaries was NOT directed by Spike Lee? A) When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts B) Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills C) 4 Little Girls