Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hanging out with Preston Sturges in New York

I'll be in New York for the last week of 2008. Obviously movies will be on the agenda along with other cultural endeavors and favorite restaurants. Dedicated readers know I love screwball comedies from the 1930s/40s and the absolute master of the genre is Preston Sturges. You can imagine my excitement when I found out there will be a Sturges fest at the Film Forum the entire week I'm in Manhattan.

It looks like most of Sturges' films will be shown. Film prints. I will be laughing and soaking up my beloved screwball with such films from him as The Great McGinty, Christmas In July, The Lady Eve (an all-time favorite of mine), Sullivan's Travels, The Palm Beach Story, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek and Hail the Conquering Hero. Sure, I've seen them before but to see a print and to watch them in the darkened theatre as the film flickers through the light--well, I can't miss that or I'll forever kick myself. It looks like I have found something to occupy a chunk of my time on my trip and Preston Sturges will be my much loved companion and guide.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barbara Stanwyck is so adorable in "The Lady Eve."

Ps-I owe you an email about the series finale of the shield...