Monday, April 12, 2010

UTW article on Admiral Twin Drive-In/The Outsiders

I recently wrote an article about the Admiral Twin Drive-In for Urban Tulsa. I've not written "journalistic" pieces much so it was a little different to do. The first couple of paragraphs of the opening was not included in the piece--it is below. I really liked the opening so wanted to share it with you. Click on the link below to read the rest of the article.


I wouldn't classify myself as an overtly patriotic person. I rarely become emotional when I hear the national anthem or see a flag fluttering in the warm glow of a sunset. That's not to say I don't have my moments when I'm struck by a mysterious wave and my skin tingles with goosebumps by some quality of "Americanness" that I'm witnessing. 

What gets me in the heart and makes me love my country? Demolition derbies, prison rodeos, fried livers with country gravy, baseball parks, empty southwestern desert highways, and rock and roll music. But nothing comes close to getting my red, white and blue juices flowing like the drive-in. Nothing.

Go here if you want to read the rest of the article that includes not only Admiral Twin but some things on drive-in history and the film The Outsiders

Photo of Admiral Twin Drive-In in the early 1960s courtesy of Rotary Club/Beryl Ford Collection/Tulsa Historical Society

2 comments:

Rumblefish said...

It's interesting that attendance at the drive-ins was down during the 40s. I believe that was a time of extremely high attendance at regular theatres. People went to the movies to get their minds off the war.

Joshua Blevins Peck said...

There was a lot of gas rations during WW2 so I'm guessing it was due to that. Just a guess.